Table of Contents
Need OKR examples for work? You’ve come to the right place.
Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) are a goaling framework that can make or break alignment and productivity at your organization. In this piece, we’ll examine how OKRs look for different business units and different industries. And we’ll give you 12 specific, clear OKR examples to use in your own goaling journey.
Learn more about OKRs below, or 👉👉 jump straight to the examples.👈👈
What are OKRs and why are they important?
Objectives and key results, or OKRs, is an actionable, team-oriented goaling framework. OKRs help drive alignment and productivity at your organization by pairing a high-level direction (the objective) with the measurable, time-bound outcomes you need to achieve it (the key results).
As we explain in our in-depth article on OKRs and CFRs (Conversations, Feedback, and Recognition):
Objectives are high-level goals that define where a business wants to go. Think about objectives as a destination. Who, what, or where do you want to be when you reach your goal?
Key results are the directions you use to reach your destination. Key results should be quantifiable or measurable in some way. What milestones will you meet to indicate you’re on track?
Learn more in our article:
Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) Explained
Just like many New Year’s resolutions fade in mid-February, the term “goal-setting” can be thrown around so that it begins to lose its meaning. And what’s the point of setting goals if we’re not actually meeting them?
To bridge the gap between goal setting and goal meeting, thriving organizations like Google and LinkedIn use Objectives and Key Results (OKRs). Once an organization has defined its high level OKRs, each business unit then identifies and — most importantly — quantifies how it will contribute to achieving them. This simultaneously helps to increase productivity and improve employee engagement.
Interest piqued? Check out our OKR examples to see the magic in action.
Example OKR for marketing
Marketing teams often work on long-term projects. Encourage each team to own OKRs by helping them align at the beginning, middle, and end of a big goal.Objective
Create a clear, targeted content journey to increase pipeline.Key results
- 100% of buyer personas updated by the end of Q1.
- Transitional period between awareness and decision decreased by 15%.
- Pages per session on high intent webpages is 1.5 or higher.
- 25% of new content pieces are available in complementary video or podcast format.
Example OKR for sales
Sales is all about the wins — and meeting predetermined revenue numbers by key milestones. OKR implementation allows sales teams to provide themselves with benchmarks for success.Objective
Personalize our sales approach to drive more wins.Key results
- Prospects’ first names appear in 100% of email automations by end of Q1.
- Documentation improved, with sales reps documenting three personal facts about each contact following the first phone call in 80% of calls.
- Average of 80% of current prospects receive weekly phone check-ins from AEs.
- 10 closed-lost prospect surveys completed per quarter to clarify picture of sales gaps.
Example OKR for Information Technology
Technology is ever-changing and, unfortunately, ever-breaking. With OKR methodology, IT can stay organized and aligned with the rest of the company.Objective
Ensure digital platforms are secure for remote employees.Key results
- Address 100% of issues from external penetration test.
- Achieve 85% adoption of 2FA and VPN among remote workers.
- Average ticket response time is 1 hour or less during standard work hours.
- 100% of current backup solutions in use by end of fiscal year.
Learn more in our article:
The 4 Secrets of OKRs That Actually Work
Example OKR for Human Resources (HR)
As the people in charge of the people, human resources teams are responsible for processes within the employee journey such as interviewing, onboarding, and beyond. Implementing HR OKRs for each process is essential to maintaining a thriving company culture.Objective
Set a new record for employee engagement scores.Key results
- 85% response rate to employee engagement surveys.
- 100% new hires receive onboarding buddy.
- All new hires rate their onboarding experience 4/5 or greater after first 90 days.
- 100% of teams transition from an annual review process to a quarterly one.
- At least 1 culture activity per month with 80% attendance or higher.
Example OKR for the executive team
Tasked with setting the direction for the company at large, the executive leadership team must inspire and challenge everyone in their ranks. Use OKRs to set high-level, yet clear and attainable goals.Objective
Attract and retain the most competitive, high-performance talent in our industry.Key results
- Offers made to 80% of top candidates within 10 days of initial phone screen.
- Improve employee NPS by 1 point.
- 100% of salaries within competitive pay band as per annual leveling.
- Employee churn is decreased by 15%.
- Number of internal promotions is 25% or higher.
OKR examples by industry
Business goals vary greatly from industry to industry. Let’s check out how they might differ.
OKR example for healthcare
The healthcare industry is highly complex because of its unpredictable nature and high levels of regulation. OKRs offer the ability to bring order to an industry that can often feel chaotic.Objective
Improve communication with patients.Key results
- 60% of patients opted into text communications by end of the year.
- 80% of staff have completed soft skills training with a score of 90 or higher by end of Q4.
- Discharge process is 25% faster on average by end of fiscal year.
- 100% of patients receive satisfaction survey immediately following each appointment.
OKR example for education
Let’s face it — educators are busy. And as orgs in this sector are primarily nonprofit and public, resources are often tight. So make the most of what you’ve got by aligning your entire team behind measurable, actionable OKRs.Objective
Increase college attendance rate of graduating seniors.Key results
- 85% of rising seniors have met with college counselor by the end of the year.
- Attendance in after-school tutoring program increased by 10%.
- 90% of freshmen attend college workshop by end of first year.
- 80% of parents attend 1 after-school session this semester.
Learn more in our free e-course:
Creating a Company Goals Process that Works
OKR example for finance
Banks, financial planning groups and investment firms can’t be all about the numbers. In order for business to work, the people must be aligned, too.
Drive recurring revenue through customer relationships.Key results
- NPS scores increased by 1 point.
- Customer satisfaction survey scores are 90% or higher.
- Exit surveys completed with 80% of churning customers.
- Customer retention increased by 10%.
Example OKR for hospitality
A business in the hospitality industry may be juggling food and beverage, events, lodging, and recreation all at once! Here’s an example of keeping these many functions driving in the same direction:
Double revenue and profitability by 2023.Key results
- Increase customer retention by 5% this year.
- Increase brand awareness in market by 20%.
- 80% of locations moved to automated booking.
- 60% of guests enrolled in real-time texting service to enhance online ordering experience.
Example OKR for retail
The retail industry has undergone massive changes since the arrival of online shopping around the turn of the millennium. The old is out — so it’s time to step up! Grow and innovate with the proper use of OKRs.Objective
Tap the GenZ market.Key results
- Engagement with brand YouTube and TikTok accounts up by 20%.
- 60% of products in stores branded recycled, organic, and/or cruelty-free.
- Product placement on influencer accounts up by 30%.
- Website is 100% optimized for mobile.
Example OKR for e-commerce
E-commerce is fast-paced and highly competitive. Blessed with Silicon Valley sensibilities, these companies are primed to use top workplace methodologies to seek success. Which means if your company doesn’t already do OKRs, you’re falling behind.Objective
Secure “market leader” status in the U.S.Key results
- Add-to-cart rates increased by 20%.
- Bounce rate below 80% on high converting pages.
- Email subscriptions up by 10%.
- Rank in top 3 search results for top 5 high intent keywords.
Example OKR for manufacturing and construction
Just like a building, a company is built from the ground up. OKRs help manufacturing and construction businesses keep all functions inspired and aligned.Objective
Top trade magazines’ “Safest Place to Work” list.Key results
- 100% of employees complete 2 safety trainings per year with score of 80 or higher.
- 100% equipment audited quarterly.
- Preventable accidents reduced by 15%.
Drive goals and OKRs with technology
We hope these OKR examples helped clarify how to write and structure your goals for maximum success. And if you’re ready to take it to the next level, we’re here to help.
At WorkTango, we’re revolutionizing how the world’s most forward-thinking companies engage and inspire their people. We offer the only Employee Experience Platform that enables meaningful recognition and rewards, supports alignment through goal setting and feedback, and offers actionable insights through employee surveys.
WorkTango is built for the workplace we all want to be a part of – where priorities become clear, achievements are celebrated, and employees have a voice. So if you’re ready to improve (work) lives, schedule a demo today.