Monday is a happy day when we get to hear esteemed HR Practitioners share their advice and experiences for the purpose of growing, equipping, and inspiring the community.
With a different guest every week, we’re always gaining new perspectives, insights, and answers. The participants of the HR Passion Series are successful, hardworking individuals who have a passion for people and HR and are excited to share what they’ve learned over the years.
We’re honored to be with Craig Dameron today–Manager, Compensation North America, at McCain Foods.
1. What was your journey coming up to your current HR role? Any milestone moments in your career?
I’ve been extremely privileged to have started my career in compensation supporting a variety of businesses and countries at a big bank, spent time on the business HR side for that same bank, and have now come full circle back to compensation in a completely different industry. The most important thing I did as a “comp person” was to make the switch over to business HR. It is often (and was) a challenging transition but I don’t believe you can be successful in a specialist function without that perspective – and vice versa.
2. As an HR leader, what keeps you up at night, rounding out 2018 and looking forward to the next year?
3. What are some elements of focus for your HR strategy in the coming 12 months?
The second is again around data – engagement is great, but how can we as a company understand how engagement affects our bottom line.
4. What advice would you give someone going into an HR leadership position for the first time?
5. Is there anything in your career you’re incredibly proud of?
6. Is there anything you failed at? Any lessons learned?
7. Can you name a person who has had a tremendous impact on you as an HR leader? Maybe someone who has been a mentor to you?
8. What are you doing to ensure you continue to grow and develop as an HR leader? any resources you’d recommend to HR colleagues?
9. When you win HR Executive of the year soon, what song do you want playing when you walk up to the stage?
10. What books or podcasts would you recommend to your HR peers?
11. Finally, give us three words that you would use to describe the HR profession.
Evolving, Broad, Misunderstood (but getting there)
At WorkTango, we’re revolutionizing how the world’s most forward-thinking companies engage and inspire their people. We offer the only Employee Experience Platform that enables meaningful recognition and rewards, supports alignment through goal setting and feedback, and offers actionable insights through employee surveys.
WorkTango is built for the workplace we all want to be a part of – where priorities become clear, achievements are celebrated, and employees have a voice. So if you’re ready to improve (work) lives, schedule a demo today.